K Visa – Spouse or Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizen

K nonimmigrant visas may be issued to expedite the admission of persons who are either engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen (K-1) or are already married to a U.S citizen (K-3). The K visa is issued at a consular post outside of the U.S., and upon the alien’s arrival in the United States, the alien may adjust his or her status through USCIS.

K-1 Classification

With a K-1 visa, an alien fiancé(e) may travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of entry.

K-3 Classification

A K-3 visa may be issued to the alien spouse of a U.S. citizen after the U.S. citizen has filed an immigrant visa petition on behalf of the alien. The K-3 visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place.